Today, I turn 40. Being in my 20s, I used to think 40 was such a long time away. I have grown so much and can honestly say I am the happiest I have ever been! I think it would be fun to share some insights and I hope this helps someone. Below are things the me today would have told that young woman leaving home 20 years ago.
- Education is important. Commit to growth by learning. It doesn’t have to always come from school. Be willing to also learn from life. Doors will open for you this way.
- Humans are designed to disappoint, but do not take things personally. All of us are wired very differently and not everyone is out to intentionally hurt you.
- If a man does not want you, it has nothing to do with you. Again, I go back to do not take things personally. The right one will come along and you will know through his actions how serious he is about you. Trust me on this one!
- You are never alone. You may think you are, but there is a loving God out there who created you for a purpose and he is always there!
- Live in the present more. The past is over and the future is not here yet. Take the time to live in the moments God has put in front of you. Laugh, travel, soak up your atmosphere, build friendships that propel you forward and lift you up while enjoying the blessing of getting to spend time with the people God has placed in front of you.
- Serve others and remember to pay it forward! Spend time doing something kind for someone else without expecting anything in return. God blesses us so that we can bless others.
- Listen more and talk less sometimes. We all get wrapped up with wanting to be heard, but when you take the time to listen to what others have to say and most importantly what God has to say, you will have more to gain.
- Foster the friendships that matter. Any kind of relationship requires give and take. Do not expect to hold onto friendships, marriage or any other significant relationship if you are not carving out the necessary time to devote to it. Sometimes it doesn’t take much, but you have to make time.
- Take care of yourself. Staying up all night, drinking excess alcohol, not exercising or eating right will run you into the ground. By honoring your body, you will not only have more confidence in the way you look and feel, but you will have more stamina to tend to you daily life obligations.
- Draw a line in the sand! I mean there should be a cut off time for things. Have you ever heard of someone on their deathbed wishing they worked more? Trust me when I say there will always be something that can wait until tomorrow. Spend the extra time taking care of yourself mentally, spiritually and physically and hug your loved ones those are the things that matter the most as we only get one life on this Earth!
- Forgive! I mean others, but remember to forgive yourself. None of us are perfect. God knows this, which is why he took care of this department through his son! Each day is a new opportunity to be better than yesterday. Each day is a chance to start all over if we need. Everything positive adds up over time toward you becoming the masterpiece God intended for you to be!
- Stop comparing! Whatever you do, remember you are you. You cannot change this and someone else is also uniquely designed. Focus on you and what you are good at, your own beauty and learn into those things. You will accomplish more in life instead of wasting the time wishing you were someone else.
- Your words matter. Words can cut deep or lift someone up who is having a bad day. Focus on the latter and don’t be a jerk. Just because you are having a bad day does not mean you have the right to inflict hurt on others.
- Be bold! Put yourself out there! Do something out of the ordinary and take some risks. Nothing good ever happens when you stay in a bubble doing the things that are comfortable to you.
- Not everyday needs to have laser focus. Don’t forget to rest. Even God rested on the seventh day. You will not be able to pour effectively from an empty cup so remember to rest
Don’t forget to have fun! Life is not supposed to be serious all the time. Yes, there are absolutely times to stay focused and work hard, but we need the times when we can enjoy our blessings too!